Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

I thought I would share a little family history with you - if you have ever been through the Logan Utah cemetery , you may have come across the weeping woman. Her name was Julia and she was my great grandmother. She was born in 1859 and died and 1914 - only 55 years old. The story I had been told was that she lost 4 children in 1901- influenza ? - and was broken hearted.

I don't know who gave her the scarf and flower - many people come by to look at her - I talked to 3 different ladies on Mon. that were checking her out. Great grandmothers head stone.

Behind her monument is a grave where two of her daughters are buried together as they had died within a week of each other. The oldest was Emilia - she was born in 1895 and died in 1901. The younger one is Inez - born 1899 and died 1901. I don't know where the 2 boys are buried that died that same year. My grandmother, Margaret was older and didn't get as sick as the little ones.


This is a beautiful photograph that was done of Emilia and Inez just months before they died. This is hanging over my headboard and it really is wonderful. I am so fortunate to be the proud owner. Just think of how difficult those times were - I am so grateful to be living in a more modern world, but it too is filled with trials.
My father and 2 of my uncles served in WWII. My mothers younger brother, Lyle Hoffman, was killed in Germany. His wife Georgia was expecting there 1st baby when he went to war. He died without ever knowing his son, Lyle.
Georgia went on to marry again, had 3 more children. Her oldest daughter - who I had met in the shop - came up to me one day and asked if I was a Hoffman and I said yes - Her mom was Georgia - my uncles widow. How excited was I to finally be able to meet her. On the Saturday before Mothers Day, Georgia and her daughter - also named Georgia, and my Aunt Marj
who was married to uncle Lyle's brother, came for a cup of coffee and a great visit. Georgia and Marj are both in their 90's and doing so well. I was so excited to meet and talk with her - she was delightful. I hope someday I will be able to meet my cousin Lyle - it's never too late.
It is heart breaking to think of all the innocent lifes that are lost every day.
My mothers family has always done alot of grave decorating when I was young. We would get all dressed up and head to the cemetery and meet up with a lot of family members.
I was finally able to bury my brother this past week - it took me long enough but now it is done.
There are lots of thoughts and emotions around the shop these days as we wind down to our last final days. There is still a wee bit of fabric left and you need it much more than I do!!!
Good day for now, Kaye

1 comment:

Crazy Aunt Rose said...

This is just so cool. Thank you for sharing. I would have never known you were related to the weeping lady ! wow
Will be in tomorrow to see when I can pick up that bench and ask if you would like to go see Sex and the City with me tomorrow night..CraZy Aunt Rose